Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 6

Vinisud wrapped up today. Needless to say, my palate is fatigued.

I spent the day targeting various domains that had been recognized in a book Fred lent me describing top Languedoc producers. One of them was Domaine Gayda (http://www.gaydavineyards.com/en/home). They're currently exporting 4 containers (LOADS of wine) to B.C., but nothing to Ontario. They had an agent - but it hasn't proven to be a worthwhile relationship. Their wines are outstanding (Syrah got 86 Parker Points) and extremely good value (under $15). I'll submit a handful of them to Vintages and see what happens. If Vintages declines the submission, the opportunity still exists to bring their wines in by private order to restaurants and eventually by consignment (where I can always have stock on hand to sell to restaurants). Their packing is slick and they offer single varietal wines (instead of the usual blends from this region) which appeal to Ontario consumers. Should be interesting...

Domaine Gayda was just one of many that I met with and had interesting chats with. There are lots of things to take into consideration with the wines that I've tasted in the past three days. I'm glad I took detailed notes and have lots of follow-up work to do.

It proved to be really mentally taxing to talk to folks in french and take notes in english. My french has definitely had a good brushing up! One of the things I've noticed is the difference in the french language depending on where people are from. There were times I had to ask people to either repeat themselves or simply speak more slowly. They gracefully cooperated.

As usual, after the wine show, I returned to my 'hotel' and took a nap. I had a bite to eat upon waking up. There are small window-front sandwich vendors on nearly every street. I had a great deep fried chicken tender sandwich and fries served in a vertical white paper bag (as seems to be the custom here) with the fries poured into and on top of the sandwich. Awesome bread too (I think I might have another in a while).

I did some laundry today because I packed pretty light. It was time for clean socks, underwear and shirts for my return trip. The self-serve laundromat looked like it came from a war-torn locale of sorts. It took some careful reading on my part to start the machine. The only major glitch was that the soap dispenser seemed to be broken (at both laundromats I went to!!). So...I washed my clothes with hot water. Seemed to do the trick.

I take my car rental back to the train station tomorrow and hop on the TGV headed to Paris at 2:40pm (not gonna miss this one!!). I'll stay at the same hotel I was in for my earlier night in Paris and then take the train to CDG airport the next morning. I'll arrive in Ottawa around 11pm (if memory serves).

Can't wait to get home. I miss Canada (and Sabrina very much)!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to have you home soon!! We have lots of soap in the washine machine for you:)) A bientot! xoxo

    ReplyDelete